Monday, October 19, 2009

Party-Que

BBQ'ing for a Party

I was asked to serve as chef at a friend's 60th birthday party on Saturday, so being the wanna-be-chef that I am, I said heck yes! It was a party for about 50-70 people, the hostess I think planned for more because she prep'd a lot of stuff - I cooked enough food for an army (we could have easily served 100).

I cooked up a dozen kielbasa and a variety of other sausages on one grill that I had going (see photo above), and on the main grill I cooked over 100 skewers that had; chicken, pineapple, zucchini and mushrooms that I basted with Mr. Yoshida's teriyaki marinade (which is very good). Ideally the chicken should have been marinated the night before and some seasoning's added but I didn't know what I was cooking until I got there, otherwise I would have brought some good seasonings to add.

That was the first time I've cooked for that many people and I found it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to cook in quantity, the most important part was just making sure everything was done properly (especially the chicken), but not over done (can't stand burnt, hard, over cooked meats or soggy vegetables).

We also put together a bunch of side dishes, desert and more, there was food of all kinds and lots of it.

I must have done something right because everyone kept thanking me for the good food and at the end of the night the hostess informed me that 75 out of 100 skewers had been consumed, that was pretty good considering all the other kinds of food that was also available.

That was the best kind of payment I could have ever wanted.

Happy 60th Birthday Chris!



No comments:

Post a Comment