Friday, September 18, 2009

Cleaning out the fridge for a nice lunch

Po' Boy Sandwich

On Today's Menu is a spur of the moment concoction of ingredients that came to mind while cleaning out our refrigerator. I hate it when food expires and goes to waste, that's good money down the drain. I really try to stay on top of items that are aging to make sure they get used up before they go bad. Today I found a few left overs from our previous dinners and we had a couple of hoagie rolls that were still fairly fresh, so I figured I'd try making my version of a shrimp po' boy sandwich for lunch today.

Here's the list of ingredients I used and how I made this spur of the moment lunch.
Hoagie roll; lightly butter the inside of the bun and lay it flat in a pre-heated pan on medium-high heat and just brown the bread (about 1-2 minutes depending on the heat of the pan). I used my panini pan for this, the trick is making sure the pan is hot enough and do
n't use too much butter.

I generously applied Ronda's home made roasted red pepper sauce to the roll and heated up a pan to medium-high heat with 1 tsp garlic oil and re-heated the shrimp and bacon. I laid that all down on top of a slice of swiss on the roll, let it melt and added some romaine lettuce to the top and voila, my po' boy sandwich. This was the first time I've made one of these and I rather liked it - good stuff!

Ingredients: Hoagie Roll, Cooked shrimp with garlic, Bacon, Swiss Cheese, Sauce (options: aoili, mayo, tobasco, mustard), Lettuce/Tomatos (optional)



Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment